Westchester East Trail Crew
The Westchester East Trail Crew works in preserves and parks throughout north-eastern and central Westchester county. We meet at the parks and preserves where we work.
Weekly all year long conditions permitting.
About the Crew
- Maintain trails by routinely clipping, sawing and blazing.
- “Swamp ” for (assist) certified chain sawyers
- Improve trails by constructing puncheon, boardwalks, bridges, rock stream crossings, and stone steps.
- Rehabilitate trails by side-hilling and installing water bars and check dams to facilitate drainage.
- Identify routes for new or rerouted trails as agreed with Landowner.
- Clear and construct new and rerouted trails as agreed with Landowner.
- Add new blazing to new or re-routed trails and repair blazing on existing trails
- Supervise and work with corporate volunteer groups.
- Participate in a high school internship program mentoring seniors.
- Take on non-traditional projects which enhance the hiking experience and contribute to our partners’ environmental mission.
Where We Work
We works in preserves and parks throughout north-eastern and central Westchester county. Locations include
What to Bring and Wear
Bring water, snacks and lunch.
Please wear hiking or sturdy shoes. Long pants and long sleeves are best for many projects.
We recommend bug spray and sunblock.
Most regular crew members have their own loppers, clippers, hammers, gloves, hand saws and other common trail maintenance tools. We can also provide these tools as well as tools for specific projects including rock bars, baskets, picks, mattocks, sledge hammers, nails and paint.
We provide training as necessary, specific to the project.
Join us to work on trails in New York’s beautiful north-east and central Westchester county.
Westchester East Trail Crew work all year long. Work trips are 3 hours +/- and usually scheduled from 9:30 am – 12:30 pm. Notification for the Friday crew is sent Wednesday night via the WPRR Trail Maintainer list.
To join this crew, please contact the leader Geof Connor at [email protected].